The Victory

“Better, Faster, Stronger”: After last year’s record, varsity football has a new attitude

Cristina Catezone

Cleats tear the dirt on the field, and adrenaline pumps through his veins. Senior lineman Ebrima Njie prepares to take on anything that comes his way. The slogan, “Better, Faster, Stronger” has prepared him for this moment. The hours spent in the weight room, on the field, and building a brotherhood have finally paid off.

Njie is in his fourth year as a football player at De La Salle, and this year matters. Many football practices have taken place either on the field or inside the weight room. Compared to previous football teams, this year “Better, Faster, Stronger” is the team’s motto. New techniques, goals, and attitudes play a key role on the varsity football team.

“The main reason I feel like the team is doing better compared to last year is that we have more talent on this year’s team,” Njie said. “But even more important is that we have a better chemistry this year, and we all get along with each other.”

As soon as last season ended, the football team immediately started preparing over the summer for their current season. Football never stops. The varsity team practices every day on the field after school from 3:00-5:45 p.m.

“During the offseason, we spent more of our time in the weight room where we had team workouts going on from November until June,” Njie said. “And we worked out every day from Monday-Friday, but since the season started we’ve been on the field, even though we still use the weight room every week.”

The split time between practicing in the weight room and on the football field led the team to achieve victory and start the 2017 season with a strong winning record. Intense hours of practice in the weight room and on the field pay off on Friday nights. The Meteors currently boast a 5-2 record and are playoff eligible. One more win locks them into a guaranteed playoff berth.

Senior varsity player Anthony Woods spent most of his time preparing for the season on the field. If he wasn’t practicing on the football field, then he was hitting the weights.

“This year we have talent all across the board,” Woods said. “We built ourselves up in the weight room the entire off season. We prepare for this season. Everybody wants it just as much as the guy next to him. We go to war every Friday. Nothing can break the bond we created. It’s the Year of the Meteor.”

• “Better, Faster, Stronger”: After last year’s record, varsity football has a new attitude

News

Lending A Helping Hand With Misericordia

Club Corner

Talking Money With Mr. Wegesin

DLS Athletics

LAX to the MAX: Meteor Lacrosse Focusing on The Process

News

Meteors Serving The Community

Club Corner

Meteors Simulate Model United Nations Conference

DLS Athletics

Wrestling Aims to Leave Lasting Impression at State

DLS Athletics

The Rocky Road To Success

Showcase

Racing Down the Hill: Meteors Take a Ride Down the Slopes in De La Salle’s Annual Ski Trip

Club Corner

29 Inductees Recognized in De La Salle’s National Honor Society Fall Induction Ceremony

News

Third Floor Renovations at the Institute Campus