The Victory

Tech Updates: Merging the Future

Bryan Bachleda

Technology has played a large role in De La Salle’s history and philosophy, and with the upcoming merge, De La Salle needs to be prepared to continue its technological innovation.

De La Salle has been implementing 1:1 technology since 2006. This action to expand to a completely computerized classroom was a large step into getting a new generation prepared for the global and digital world.

Math teacher Mr. Jackowiak has been teaching at De La Salle for the past 25 years and has been assisting with the technological innovation. He was the first teacher to have a computerized classroom and a SMARTBoard, which has been discontinued since the 1:1 program.

“Learning to use technology is learning to operate in the world,” Jackowiak said. “That is why I chose to assist with the innovation. Technology today is a huge factor in everyone’s lives, and it is our job to help students to understand how to use that technology effectively.”

To prepare for the co-ed merge, a $180,000 network infrastructure upgrade was completed at the Institute Campus to accommodate the 400 students that will be brought over from Lourdes Hall Campus.

“What we did was update the access points around the campus to allow more users to be connected to the network at the same time,” De La Salle’s Director of Computer Systems, Brother Chris Oddo said. “We also updated the system itself to allow a better experience for our faculty to use in-house resources.”

Before the network update was made, De La Salle switched the tablet PC to a new model, the Lenovo Yoga, to replace the current Intel Nobi Netbook. The Yoga is a sleek and modern Ultrabook that allows students to do more; the device is much slimmer, and it is convenient for students. The device includes a touch screen and a “pinch-zoom” feature. Just like the Nobi Netbook, the Yoga’s screen can also be used to write on with an included stylus so that a student is still able to write notes on his or her laptop instead of in a paper notebook. The first class to get the new Yoga was the Class of ’18.

“The netbook has discontinued. Basically, no one uses a netbook anymore,” Oddo said. “We have had a good experience with the Lenovo company, especially with the liability of our machines. The company has a great value of efficiency and convenience with a quicker process to repair and send back broken laptops unlike the company that was servicing our netbooks. The Yoga was the configuration that best fit our needs.”

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

News

Lending A Helping Hand With Misericordia

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

Club Corner

Talking Money With Mr. Wegesin

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

DLS Athletics

LAX to the MAX: Meteor Lacrosse Focusing on The Process

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

News

Meteors Serving The Community

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

Club Corner

Meteors Simulate Model United Nations Conference

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

DLS Athletics

Wrestling Aims to Leave Lasting Impression at State

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

DLS Athletics

The Rocky Road To Success

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

Showcase

Racing Down the Hill: Meteors Take a Ride Down the Slopes in De La Salle’s Annual Ski Trip

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

Club Corner

29 Inductees Recognized in De La Salle’s National Honor Society Fall Induction Ceremony

• Tech Updates: Merging the Future

News

Third Floor Renovations at the Institute Campus

Tech Updates: Merging the Future