The Victory

Filed under News, Student Life

Get to Work! De Students Working in the Community

It is nine o’clock in the morning and kids are already zig-zagging in-between Remi Akintonwa’s legs as she prepares the ingredients for their cooking “show” that she helped the kids perform.

Akintonwa is a counselor at the Boys and Girls Club on the south side of Chicago, a non-profit organization that provides youth different types of programs such as summer camps, team sports, and clubs. This is her summer job. She got it through a scholarship called Bank of America Scholars that selected her. Then she had to go to an interview. She works over the summer, from Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3p.m. Working there helps her gain work experience and helps her learn how to interact with young people.

“I accompanied all of the children on their field trips and was a role model to them,” Akintonwa said.

They visited the Lincoln Park Zoo and the Shedd Aquarium. At one point, she got to be an ambassador for her program in Washington D.C. for a week.

“I got to meet lots of fascinating people from all over the country who run non-profits,” Akintonwa said.

During the trip she even got to meet Bernie Sanders.

“It was very exciting to meet such an influential leader,” Akintonwa said.

Senior Rudy Flores also holds a summer job.  He received the opportunity to work at the Knollwood Country Club as a golf caddie. He was selected for the job through the Daniel Murphy Scholarship Foundation.

“The successful people I met and worked for helped me understand what I need to do to be as successful as they are one day,” Flores said. The job helped him learn how to work and act professionally. I learned lots of good management skills on the job.”