Meteor Hockey Seniors Hope to Leave Legacy

As fall sports come to an end, winter sports begin their journey towards competing for a state championship. In just its second season as a varsity sport, the De La Salle hockey team stands at 4-5. We took a look into what is making their season a memorable one.

Both seniors Thomas O’Leary and Josh Annicks have been with the hockey program since the first day it was reinstated at De. Both players had to endure a tough inaugural season, taking their lumps and learning throughout the course of the season.

“We still have something to prove,” senior Thomas O’Leary said. “Last year was a development year for a new team in a new league. This year we’ve been given new hope. This is a new league in a new year, and our skaters are looking better than ever.”

As for preparing for the game, that is another story. Head coach John Wallin and his staff have been working hard to develop each individual player with the knowledge that the team is only as great as their weakest link.

“Practice drills have greatly helped me improve my individual skills as well as the team’s game. Skating backwards and quick feet drills are just some of the drills that allowed me to have an edge on my opponents,” said senior Josh Annicks.

As the program continues to improve and grow, it will take maximum effort from senior leaders like Annicks and O’Leary who will lead the younger players by example. “It is a special feeling to be a part of the first De hockey team in this new league. It is important that we create and uphold a culture of excellence so the legacy we leave becomes lasting,” said Annicks.

We look forward to following the hockey team the rest of the way! The Meteor hockey schedule can be found online at www.dls.org.

The Victory • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in