The Rocky Road To Success

The girls varsity basketball team, led by Coach John Smith, did not get off to the start that they would have liked at the beginning of the season.

However, the girls have rebounded and are beginning to win when it matters most. The girls have advanced past the IHSA Class 3A Regionals and have qualified for sectionals. This is unfamiliar territory for the girls. In the history of De La Salle, the varsity girls’ basketball team has never made it to an IHSA State Final.

When asked about the team’s chances in the upcoming games, junior guard and team captain Teresa Caponera said, “I feel like we could make a run. We have a good group of girls who are playing as a team. We’ve put in the work to make it here and we don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.”

It is safe to say that the girls have forgotten the mistakes that plagued them earlier in the season and are coming at their opponents with a full head of steam. They know what it means to win and lose as a team and have experienced both the highs of victory and lows of defeat. With each victory is another step closer to an appearance in the IHSA State Final.

When asked about what it is like to be a leader of the team, senior guard and team captain Kiya King responded by saying, “­­It means a lot to be a part of this team. I’ve looked up to the senior players since I was a freshman. Now that I’m a senior, being considered a role model to the younger players is something that I am extremely proud of.”

Overall, the Varsity Girls Basketball team is on the rise and they hope to finish the season with a slam dunk.

The Victory • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in