Meteors Serving The Community

On March 3rd my sophomore religion class went on the 2017 sophomore retreat. The retreat took place at The Greater Chicago Food Depository. To be able to help those in need was an amazing experience that I will not forget.

When we arrived, we were told to put gloves on and we were all briefed on our responsibilities for the day. Our duties were to check the expiration date on canned goods and to organize food boxes that would be shipped for consumption. For example, there were canned foods, cereal, and drinks in each box. It may sound boring but when y

ou are with friends and others that are doing the same thing, you realize that all of it was for a good cause.

I had the opportunity to meet a lot of new people from other classes who I may not otherwise have had a conversation with. Before we departed, Mr. Dufficy explained how this could be a chance for others to actually talk and have normal conversations. We also had the opportunity to work with other students from DePaul University. Working together as a whole to provide food to the less fortunate was a very humbling experience.

The hours went quickly and by the time we were done we had packaged about 14,400lbs of food. Employees at the Greater Chicago Food Depository said that the weight packed was actually a new De La Salle record.

Overall the retreat was great and I would love to go back again. I believe my class was able to gain a better perspective on poverty and some of the issues that families must face on a daily basis. It made many of us feel extremely grateful for the food that we have, and be much more mindful of those who may not be as fortunate.

The Victory • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in