The Victory

Cheering To a New Season: Cheerleaders Get a New Head Coach

Head coach Liz Halle (left) and assistant coach  Alex Gonzalez (right)

Head coach Liz Halle (left) and assistant coach Alex Gonzalez (right)

Vincent Majeed

They roll out cheer mats every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday at 2:45 p.m. and start stretches. “Down! One… Two… Three…”  The captains lead stretches; then the squad works on kicks and jumps before the coaches arrive.

De La Salle cheerleading recently hired a new head coach, Liz Halle, who graduated from De La Salle in 2013; she was captain of the cheer team in high school. After graduating, Halle always came back and helped out with the cheer team because she was very close with Ms. Senjanin, the former head coach. When Halle found out Ms. Senjanin was leaving, she took the opportunity to help out and step up for the cheer team. She came back because cheerleading changed her view of life.

“I remember how much cheerleading meant to me back when I was in high school, it was something to focus on, something positive, something to help improve your personality,” Halle said. “It made me want to come back because I knew that the girls needed someone who’s going to care just as much I did.”

In high school, Halle was the quiet student who was shy and nervous to interact with other students. Cheerleading changed that.

“People tell me I’m loud all the time, and I used to never be that person,” Halle said. “I was always quiet. I was super shy, and I was embarrassed when I had to do something by myself. When I came here and we are screaming cheers, I was like WOAH! After it, I really opened up as a person and it made me feel more confident, not only in cheerleading but in real life.

Halle has high expectations for the team. “My goal is I want the girls to go to competition. I don’t know how we’re going to do it, but we’re doing it,” Halle said. “I want the cheerleaders to go out there and be memorable to the school.”