The Victory

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Hey Chicago! What do you say? A long, awaited victory for the Cubs has even Sox fans rooting for the boys in red and blue.

Photo credited to Sports Mockery

Photo credited to Sports Mockery

Photo credited to Sports Mockery

Recently, Chicago has come down with mad fever for the Cubs, and some students may have even noticed St. John Baptiste De La Salle showing his Cubs’ pride in the Commons. On Wednesday, November 2nd, the whole city of Chicago gathered around the nearest television set to watch the final game of the World Series. Even during Open House, Meteor families waited in anticipation as the game was broadcast throughout the hallways. Tied with the Cleveland Indians three games to three, the Cubs had everyone on the edge of his/her seats as they dragged on into the tenth inning. After a suspenseful rain delay, the Cubs won the championship with a final score of eight to seven, breaking their one hundred and eight year losing streak.

Neighborhoods all across the city went crazy with screaming fans and booming fireworks throughout the night. Cubs flags and pennants were hung on every doorstep. Schools were closed as November 4th was declared “World Champion Chicago Cubs Day”. Streets were flooded with five million people for the championship parade in hopes of getting a glimpse at the shiny golden trophy, and among them were several of our own De La Salle students, faculty, and staff.

Even Sox fans are overjoyed with the city’s victory. “[The] Cubs winning makes me feel like a proud Chicagoan. Even though I am a White Sox fan, it’s nice to be a part of a Chicago victory,” stated sophomore Citlalli Zavala. For many, the victory was much more than the title and trophy. Faithful Cubs fans celebrate in remembrance of passed loved ones who never got a chance to see their victory, while others are just delighted to be a part of history. Sophomore Denise Maldonado said, “I’ve been a Cubs fan my whole life, and watching my favorite team win the World Series was a life-changing experience. [I] especially [enjoyed] seeing my thrilled mom, who’s been a fan ever since Sammy Sosa and Mark Grace played for the Cubs. It was truly unforgettable.”

And if you’re wondering if De La Salle is pure South-Side pride or Cubbies all the way, here were the results of the school-wide survey. The team most favored by the Meteors was the Cubs, only surpassing the Sox with 54% of all votes. It’s safe to say that De La Salle is split down the middle when it comes to which Chicago baseball team is best.

Chicago now waits in anticipation for next year, hoping history will once again repeat itself.