The Victory

Boy Scout Duties

Boy Scouts is a youth scouting organization based in the United States

By: Kayla Granat

“On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country, to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.”

Every Wednesday after school, sophomore John Stewart is busy organizing a meeting for his Boy Scout troop in Old Town. Stewart has been a Boy Scout since he was in sixth grade.

“At meetings we have a theme for every month. At the start, the older scouts help the younger scouts fill out requirements,” Stewart said. “ The second half is us following an aspect of the theme for the month,” Stewart said.

From the age of seven to ten, a boy can join the Cub Scouts. Twelve is the starting age for becoming a Boy Scout, and they can stay in their troop until they are eighteen years old.

“Over the summer lots of work is required to rank up, for most of the lower requirements are out in the woods or at summer camp. Once you reach first class rank, the requirements become more difficult, for you need to accomplish merit badges or awards based on a certain task,” Stewart said. “There is almost a merit badge for everything, but the most difficult part is that it’s hard to find counselors and meet up with them often for everyone’s schedule is very busy,” Stewart said.

Stewart is a part of the higher scouts so he is in charge of meetings and helping with the younger scouts. “It’s fun because when you’re in the older scouts you’re a leader,” Stewart said. “So you’re kinda like running the meeting and organizing everything. It just feels kinda like you’ve accomplished something because you’re doing something to help others,” Stewart said. Stewart plans on staying in his troop until he is eighteen and is looking forward to the rest of his time as a Boy Scout.

“My purpose is to set the example of how a citizen should act,” Stewart said. “In times of need, I am to be prepared to go above and beyond what is expected,” Stewart said.

Boy Scout Duties