The Victory

Spirit Week

Lifting Spirits

By: Calvyn Garcia

When the weather changes and fall approaches, one of the best things to happen for De La Salle students is the Homecoming dance, and what better way to lead up to the dance than to have a fun-filled week? Spirit Week is argumentatively one of the best weeks of the school year for the students. It is an exciting, fun, and uplifting week in which almost everybody gets involved.

This year’s Spirit Week theme was Superheros, as we are all heroes and have our own special powers. The days involved Pajama Day, Twin Day, Character Day, Patriotic Day, and Spirit Day. On Spirit Day, the Fall Pep Rally was held in the Parmer Activity Center, as usual. During the pep rally, everyone in maintenance was called to the court for a special surprise. Seniors Siobhan Hoskins, Breana Wayne, Isis Trebble, Taylor Wyatt, and Milani Jones set up a song to show the staff how much the school appreciates them, and, of course, other students joined on the court to sing along. They performed their own parody version of “YMCA”, with lyrics such as, “Maintenance, y’all be sweeping the floors. I said maintenance, y’all be opening doors. I said maintenance, y’all be doing it all…,” which is very true; they do it all.

“The custodian workers do so much for the entire student body, faculty, and staff. We wanted to celebrate and make their appreciation segment of the pep rally memorable,” senior Siobhan Hoskins said. The song and performance was a huge success, “It was a big surprise and really nice to know that everyone appreciates us and what we do,” Gerald Hayes said. Although, “I’m not sure if this appreciation song is enough to express our gratitude for everything they do for the school,” Wayne said.

Spirit Week