The Victory

Ethan Verner

a freshman golfer on par for greatness

MICHAELPRISCHMANPHOTOGRAPHYLLC

MICHAELPRISCHMANPHOTOGRAPHYLLC

By: Calvyn Garcia

Ethan Verner is a golfer and a very good one at that. He is already a key player for the golf team, and this is only his freshman year.
This season, Verner participated in the Golf to Paradise First Tee Challenge, a national tournament in Florida. Ethan got to compete in Closest to the Hole and The Longest Drive competitions while there. He ended up placing fourth in the Closest to the Hole challenge.
Some of the best things about this trip were meeting new people from different states and the beautiful weather. He was also able to meet professional golfers at the Chubb Classic.

“We also got a very amazing lesson from Fred Funk in the beginning. He talked to us about some very useful golf techniques that we could use to improve our game,” Verner said. He says Funk even gave tips on hip rotation and swing that helped him improve on his contact.
“It has opened my eyes to the world of golf tournaments. Throughout my golf career, I’ve only participated in a few tournaments, but this one has shown me what I really need to improve,” Verner said. He also said that just being on the driving range was fun, and he got to be in a putting contest with his coach.

This trip wasn’t all about golf. “We got to go to the beach with all of the other chapters to watch the sunset. That was a really ice-breaking moment. I got to joke around with the other teenagers and play volleyball,” Verner said. There is also something in golf called the Nine Core Values, and the players discussed their favorite one. Ethan’s is perseverance because it’s being able to see what you need to improve and how to improve. “Not only was this a great experience, but a real eye-opener about my social life and my golf game,” Verner said.

Ethan Verner