The Victory

Math Academics

Bridge contest record broken

By: Koby Johnson

Every year De La Salle’s Honors Geometry classes compete in a bridge contest. This contest has been partof the Math Department for 48 straight years. It was started in 1970 by Mr. Monti, a retired De La Salle math teacher.

“Students have about four months to design and build their bridges on their own outside of school. To help with this, I produced a how-to video a few years ago and published it on our De La Salle YouTube channel,” contest judge and math teacher Mark Jackowiak said. “The video really seemed to help bring the contest to the next level as many records have been broken since the how-to video was made available. I recently built a bridge that held 270 pounds, which no student has been able to beat.”

However, the students continue to work toward that goal. Heading into this year’s competition, the record was 235 pounds, set by junior Tiffany Pang. This year, junior Berenice Perez shattered the previous record with her bridge; it held an incredible 245 pounds.

“During the process of building my bridge, I thought about Jackowiak’s bridge and kept his video in mind. Although I didn’t do exactly what he did I was able to make it similar to his. I first began to build my bridge during the month of November. I worked on my bridge at least once
a week until it was time to turn it in,” Perez said. “When I finally realized what I had just accomplished, I was so happy. I started to cry tears of joy. I was also screaming through the hallways where all my friends were
that I had just broken the all-time school record.”

Math Academics