The Victory

We Will Prevail

Varsity soccer makes playoffs for first time in ten years

By: Andres Guachichulca

It was 6 p.m. on Friday, October 20, 2017. The sun was setting behind the turf field, and soccer balls were being kicked around. The field and bleachers were covered with blue, gold, white, and red. These were the colors that represented both teams. This was playoff soccer.

The boys varsity soccer team played its first playoff game in ten years against Solorio Soccer Academy after beating Lindblom Math & Science Academy with a winning score of 3-2 to advance into the IHSA state playoffs.

“I felt so great that we won the game. I never felt so happy making coach so proud,” junior right midfielder Diego Rocha said. During the first quarter against Solorio, Rocha made a huge defensive stop and prevented a Solorio offensive player from making an assist which would have led to a goal. “[During this play] I was scared because I felt like I would lose the ball. I believed that I could do it, and it worked,” Rocha said.

Although the team fell short against Solorio to advance further in the playoffs, the team learned to play as brothers. “This was a great time of learning new things. We took a lot away from the season which made it lead to brotherhood,” Head Coach Francisco Martinez said. “Our season doesn’t matter about the record we had, but about the memories we have made during this season.”

We Will Prevail